This multi-purpose venue can be adapted to any kind of business event, such as tradeshows, seminars and corporate events.
The space is dividable to create smaller internal spaces, and includes an outdoor decked area facing historic Salamanca, ideal for cocktail functions.
Onsite is a commercial kitchen facility designed for offsite catering, flexible technological and lighting infrastructure, tiered seating (500 capacity) and a portable stage.
When the space is not being utilised for business events, it will be a hub of music, arts and culture – providing an ongoing attraction for delegates within easy walking distance of major conference accommodation venues and right next to the famous Salamanca Markets.
The space will also be utilised by iconic Tasmanian events such as the Taste of Tasmania, part of Hobart’s Summer Festival, MONA Foma and Beerfest.
"This is seen as an exciting development for Tasmania and the business events industry.”
The Princes Wharf Renewal Project was completed August 2011, with the long term management of the site being overseen by the Department of Economic Development, Tourism and the Arts.
The renewal of Princes Wharf Shed No 1 was managed by the Department of Treasury and Finance. Construction was staged, with the first stage undertaken from June to October 2010, and the second stage from March to August 2011.
Through ongoing consultation with stakeholders and the broader community, the renewed site was designed to provide infrastructure and facilities to accommodate small community events through to major events such as ‘The Taste of Tasmania’ Festival, MONA FOMA and others.
Through an open procurement process, Government selected Venue Management Services to provide professional site management services for the day to day management of the site and liaison with events.
The area around Princes Wharf has always been a busy hub of Hobart. In the early 1800′s Hobart was one of the busiest ports in the southern hemisphere with exports of timber, coal and whale oil leaving the state to be transported all over the world.
The wharf was originally known as New Wharf, but was renamed Princes Wharf after the Duke of York (Prince George) who visited Hobart on his yacht, Ophir, in 1902. He tied up right alongside the current site of Princes Wharf 1.
From a temporary shelter for wharf workers the building underwent various renovations until 1939 when the building took its current guise. It remained largely unchanged until 2010 when, after public consultation, the heritage facade of the building was kept intact and the internal space was transformed into a state of the art function and events centre. Venue Management Services, one of Australia’s leading venue and facility management companies now operates the venue ensuring its success into the future.
"MOFO happens once a year at Princess Wharf Shed 1. Each day for almost a fortnight the Wharf hosts a different lineup of performances”
“What MOFO serves up in small, quirky chunks it equals in huge, ground-shaking party moments as well”
“Under the dark shadow of Mount Wellington, there is a feverish excitement bustling about Hobart on MOFO’s closing night as the city enjoys the final hours of a festival that stands out so distinctly from other events in Australia” Quotes from Associated Press
Video credit: MOFO at Princes Wharf 1